Water bead safety dangers
Keep a look out!
Caroline avatar
Written by Caroline
Updated over a week ago

Warnings have been put in place regarding water beads, after three children needed hospital treatment to have them removed after swallowing them. Often used in sensory toys for children, the water beads absorb water and swell up. They are often brightly coloured and can resemble candy, making them appealing to young children who may try and swallow them.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) is urging individuals to stop using the water beads as toys immediately. If they are in the house, they should be kept out of reach from children. It is also extremely important to keep items such as decorative vases that contain the beads away from children.

Water beads are made from superabsorbent polymers made from petroleum products, polyacrylate and other acrylics. When exposed to fluids such as water, they can absorb and retain hundreds of times their weight in water without dissolving. They can increase their size by 150-1500 times with some beads growing from the size of a marble and expanding to the size of a tennis ball.

The beads are dangerous when swallowed as they can absorb fluid and expand in the intestinal tract which can cause intestinal damage. If you suspect that your child has swallowed some water beads, it's vital to seek medical attention immediately. You can contact Sonder or Poisons Information Centre on 131 126.


If you have any questions or need extra support, we're here to help you anytime in any language. Simply start a chat with us via the home screen of the Sonder app.

Information sourced from: ABC News

Image credit: ABC News

All content is created and published for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice. Always seek the guidance of a qualified health professional.

Did this answer your question?